This is a special travel chutney. Whenever we travel by train, either to our grandparent’s place or back to chennai after vacation time, gingelly oil glazed idlis packed in banana leaves with varutha milagai thuvayal used to be a regular affair. The chutney would come back home from the train journey and still stay good for the next day breakfast. Even on picnic days idli and this particular chutney used to be everyone’s favourite. Generally coconut based food does not stay longer. This chutney, with all roasted ingredients, though with coconut base stays good for at least 24 hours without refrigeration.
Varutha Milagai Thuvayal/ Roasted Chilly Coconut Chutney (serves 2)
roasted urad dal and red chillies
- grated coconut – 1 cup
- urad dal – 1/2 cup
- red chillies – 3 nos
- tamarind – 1/2 inch piece
- salt – as needed
- oil – for roasting
Method of Preparation
- In Iruppuchatti/kadai, take 1/2 tsp oil and roast coconut till golden brown
- In another kadai, roast red chillies in 1/2 tsp oil
- Remove the chillies and in the same oil, roast urad dal till golden brown
- Let all ingredients cool
- In a blender, take roasted coconut, red chillies and urad dal with tamarind, salt and very little water just enough to make a thick fine paste
- Chutney is done.. Serve with hot steaming idlis or packed idlis during travel.
thick varutha milagai thuvayal/roasted chilly coconut chutney
- Always wash tamarind before usage
- For easy blending, soak tamarind in hot water for 5 minutes and add to the blender with the soaked water
- The red chillies I have are very hot.. so I have used 3 nos. Chillies can be altered as per spice of chillies and family preference
- While blending, slowly add water.. If chutney becomes more watery, it would not stay longer
- Blend into a very thick chutney and water can be added as per preference just before serving
- Because this is a travel chutney and is very thick, generally thadka is not given. Urad dal in tadka is believed to spoil the chutney’s shelf life.
- One can give it thadka with just mustard seeds.