Ms. Vanitha asked for the Basic Wheat Cake (https://dosaikal.com/basic-wheat-cake) with butter and eggs instead of oil and omission of eggs. So, I tried the cake this weekend. It came out really well, not to mention the guilt of having butter in the cake. My daughter was very happy to beat the eggs and I went back to my younger days when I used to blend butter and sugar for amma. Truly a lick of butter and sugar beaten together is a joy forever….So, I decided to indulge the previous weekend!
The cake came out very good – soft but intact; with the flavour of butter and eggs and perfectly moist.
Butter and Egg Wheat Cake
- wheat flour – 100 gms
- sugar (I used brown cane sugar) – 75 gms
- butter– 100 gms
- egg – 2 nos.
- yoghurt/curds – 3 tblsp
- water – 3 tblsp
- baking powder – 1/2 tsp
- baking soda – 1/2 tsp
- vanilla extract – 1 tsp
Method of Preparation
- In a wide bowl, beat butter and sugar – enough to melt sugar
- Whisk eggs separately and add to the blended butter and sugar
- Powdered sugar can also be used for easier melting
- Add vanilla extract and mix
- Mix baking soda and baking powder with gothumai maavu/wheat flour/atta
- Start adding flour little by little to egg, sugar, butter mixture
- When the batter has become a bit thick, add yoghurt to set right the consistency
- Add all the flour and if needed add water to bring batter to thinner consistency
- The yoghurt I used was full cream yoghurt. So I added water to the batter to make it thinner.
- Grease a baking pan and dust it with a light coating of flour
- Pour the batter into the pan
- Preheat oven at 200 degrees centigrade and bake for 25 minutes
- Check at 20 minutes with a tooth pick – if it comes out clean, cake is ready
- Baking time might vary, depending upon the oven. So, it is better to check at 20 minutes
- Remove from oven and let it cool to serve.