Skanda Sashti Fasting is devoted to Lord Murugan, the Tamil God. After 6 days of fasting, the seventh day is the fast opening day or the Feast Day. The evening of the 6th day, Lord Murugan kills the demon Suran. After the defeat, the seventh day is his day of marriage. For more details on skanda sashti and the drink paanagam read – dosaikal.com/sashti and paanagam
After defeating the demon, Lord Murugan marries Devayanai the next day – it is called the Thirukkalyanam – or the sacred marriage. After six days of fasting, every family has a feast on Lord Murugan’s marriage – with six kinds of mixed rice delicacies – Kalavai Saadham or Viragina Saatham which literally means mixed rice. dosaikal.com/sashti feast
Today (18.11.2015) being the day of marriage, it called for some celebration at home. To start the day, I made Sarkkarai Pongal – Sweet Jaggery Rice (refer – dosaikal.com/sarkkarai pongal)
Since it is tradition to make six kinds of rices, I made –
- sarkkarai pongal – sweet jaggery rice (dosaikal/sarkkarai pongal)
- elumichai saadham – lemon rice (dosaikal/elumichai saadham)
- puliyodharai/puli saadham – tamarind rice (yet to post)
- ellu saadham – sesame rice
- sambaar saadham – mixed sambaar rice (dosaikal/sambaar)
- thayir saadham – curd rice (dosaikal/thayir saadham)
and roasted potato dry curry to go with the rice varieties.
So, its time to share Ellu Saadham/Sesame Rice, a very simple and quick meal.
Ellu Saadham/Sesame Rice
Ingredients (serves 3-4)
- saadham/cooked rice – 2 cups
- ellu/sesame seeds (white or black) – 4 tblsp
- ulundham paruppu/dehusked black gram – 2 tblsp
- milagai vatral/dry red chillies – 4 no.s
- chukku podi/dry ginger powder – 1/2 tsp
- perungayam/asafoetida – 1/2 tsp
- uppu/salt – to taste
- nallennai/gingelly oil – 4 tsp
- kariveppilai/curry leaves – few leaves
black gram, red chillies and sesame seeds
- Cook rice till grains are soft and separate, but not mushy
- Spread on a plate and let it cool
Sesame Seed Powder
- In a pan, take 1 tsp oil and fry black gram and red chillies
- Once the black gram turns golden brown, remove from pan
- Fry the sesame seeds till they turn golden brown and remove from pan
- Cool the fried ingredients and dry grind in a blender with dry ginger powder, salt and asafoetida powder
- The mix powder is ready
- Pour 3 tsp gingelly oil preferably, on rice; this helps in even mixing of the dry powder
- Mix the powder in rice thoroughly till blended well.
- Fry curry leaves in minimum oil and mix in the rice.
- Black or White Sesame Seeds can be used.
- Gingelly Oil which is made from Sesame seeds is preferable. But other oils can also be used.
- One or two tsp of grated coconut can also fried and grinded together with the dry ingredients.
- Seasoning with mustard seeds can also be done with curry leaves.