Why not make a healthier version of PIZZA – one of world’s most sort after and popular foods.
In this post, lets get into the basics of making pizza – the dough and the tomato sauce to spread. White flour is substituted with whole wheat flour.
The ingredients provided here, are sufficient to make two medium pizza bases.
- whole wheat flour – 2 cups
- active dry yeast – 1/2 tsp
- salt – 1/2 tsp
- honey – 2 tbsp
- warm water – to make a soft dough
- olive oil – to grease the bowl
Making the dough
- Take all dry ingredients – whole wheat, yeast and salt together in a kneading bowl
- Add honey and warm water and knead to a smooth dough
- Honey can also be substituted with a tbsp of raw sugar
- Grease the same bowl or use another greased bowl
- Place the kneaded dough covered in a warm place
Let the dough rise for half an hour –
Rolling the dough-
6. After 1/2 an hour, knock the dough down and knead to make a smooth ball
7. Divide the dough into two portions
8. Grease two plates, that can also be used for baking
9. Spread the dough with a rollar pin into pizza base
10. Prick the rolled base with a fork
11. Let this rest in a warm place for 15 minutes
12. The pizza base is ready
Pre-cooking the pizza base-
13. Preheat the oven at 200 degrees C
14. Bake the pizza base for 10 minutes at 180 degrees C. Here, we are pre-cooking the base for the sauce spread and toppings, to be done later.
Ingredients (for 2 medium pizzas)
- tomatoes- 5/6 no.s (1 kg appr.)
- salt – to taste
- pepper – 1 tsp
- oregano – 1 tsp
Method of Preparation
- Wash tomatoes throroughly and boil them in water
- Once boiled, remove the skin
- Blend the tomatoes
- Take a pan, add the blended tomato puree
- Let the puree thicken well
- Add salt, pepper and crushed oregano once it thickens
- The sauce should be in spreadable consistency
- Too much liquid would make the base soggy.