The next in the traditional/native rice varieties on our list is Kaattuyaanam Arisi. This is a red rice variety.
The name of the rice has an interesting connotation. The name has two parts –
Kaattu is a derivation of KAADU which means forest
Yaanam is a derivation of YAANAI which means elephant
In Tamil Language.
The rice grows quite fast, tall up to 7 to 8 feet that even if a forest elephant enters the rice field, it would be hidden in the tall grass and be unnoticed. Hence, the name denoting both forest and elephant remained with the variety. Additionally, due to the ability of this rice to boost immunity, thereby providing an elephant’s strength to the body, the name has stood for centuries.
Health Benefits of Kaatuyaanam Arisi
This rice is blackish red in colour –
- provides relief of knee ailments
- tackles diabetes
- reduces risk of cancer
- strengthens heart
Now, let’s move on with the making of Dosai/Pancake out of this native rice that makes the body strong and disease free.
Kaattuyaanam Arisi Dosai/Pancakes
Ingredients (makes approximately 12-15 dosais)
• Kaattuyaanam Arisi/rice – 1 ½ cups
• Karuppu ulundhu/black gram – ½ cup
• Vendhayam/fenugreek seeds – ½ tsp
• Kal Uppu/rock salt – ½ tsp
Method of Preparation
1. Wash well Kaattuyaanam Arisi and black gram.
2. Add fenugreek seeds and soak overnight or minimum 6 hours in water
3. Grind well in a grinder or any blender
4. Once ground into a fine batter add rock salt and mix well or grind the rock salt in the end.
5. Leave the batter overnight or until fermented well.
6. Dosai batter is ready for use.
1. Heat dosaikal or the pancake pan on stove
2. Pour a ladle of batter and spread into perfect round pancakes – preferably thin
3. Pour droplets of gingelly oil on the sides of the Dosai for easy lift of pancake
4. Turn the Dosai to the other side and let it cook
5. Take out once done- remember it would take just about 30-50 seconds to cook one side of thin Dosai. If one keeps it longer, the texture of pancake would be lost.
6. Make Kaattuyaanam Arisi Dosai crisp or soft as preferred. The Dosai also comes out beautifully crisp that you can shape it yourself.
7. A dollop of new/clarified butter is an extravagant addition to the beautiful Dosai.
8. Enjoy with any kind of thuvayal or chutney. We had with these three-
Peerkangai thuvayal – ridge guard chutney
Thakkali thokku – tomato thokku (fine paste)
Pooti Aachi Vengaya Thuvayal – Great grandmother’s onion chutney
9. Chutney recipes to follow.