Here comes a Chocolate Cake – Eggless! I prefer using eggs in my cakes… it’s just that I like the texture of the cake when eggs are used. But, I try to bake eggless cakes for my friends who do not include eggs in their diet.
As usual, butter is substituted with oil and all-purpose flour with wheat flour. Eggless cakes are also baked using condensed milk – here yoghurt is used instead. Of course, another healthier option – brown cane sugar is used in place of white sugar.
Eggless Chocolate Cake
- wheat flour – 1 small cup – 100 gms
- brown cane sugar – 3/4 cup – 75 gms
- cocoa powder – 1/4 cup – 25 gms
- cooking oil (I used sunflower oil) – 1/2 cup – 50 ml
- yoghurt/curds – 1 1/2 cups – 150 ml
- baking powder – 1/2 tsp
- baking soda – 1/2 tsp
- milk – a little (if needed)
- salt – a pinch
- vanilla extract – 1/2 tsp
Method of Preparation
- Sieve wheat flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda and keep aside
- In a wide bowl, mix oil, sugar, yoghurt and vanilla extract till sugar melts
- Add the sieved dry ingredients little by little
- If batter is thick, add milk as needed to make a batter of pourable consistency and lump-free too
- Pour in a greased tray
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200 degrees centigrade for 20 minutes
- Check with a tooth pick
- Cake is ready when tooth pick comes out clean
- Cool and serve.
forgot to take a snap before i started cutting…
- If one needs more sugar, can be added
- Quantity of yoghurt can be reduced or diluted with very little water
- Nuts, especially walnuts can give the cake a nutty taste
- This cake gives nearly 20 small pieces – quantity can be altered for bigger or smaller cakes – checking at the right time is important!