Sundal or stir fried lentils are not only part of Navaratri (dosaikal/navaratri and the sundal connection), but also a speciality on pillayar chathurthi or ganesh chathurthi. Starting from the day Lord Ganesha stays at every home immediately after the chathurthi day celebrations, extending till the day his clay idol is immersed in the nearby sea or river, the evenings are flavorful ones with different kinds of Sundals offered to him. This is the norm at home. So, this Ganesh Chathurthi, I thought I would make white chick pea sundal with the ellu kozhukkattai/sesame seed dumplings.
The extra special artwork of the day was the creative kozhukkattais by the little one at home. The dumplings came out in various shapes and truly were a great treat.
So, straight to the Sundal or the healthy stir fried lentil recipe.
Vellai Kondaikadalai Sundal/Stir fried White Chickpeas
Ingredients (serves 3 to 4)
- vellai kondaikadalai/white chick peas – 1 cup
- thuruviya thengai/grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- yennai/oil – 2 tsp
- kadugu/mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- ulundham paruppu/dehusked black gram – 1/2 tsp
- pachai milagai/green chillies – 1 no.
- kariveppilai/curry leaves – a few
- perungayam/asafoetida powder – 1/4 tsp
- salt – to taste
Method of Preparation
- Wash and soak white chick peas in enough water overnight or at least for 8 hours
- Pressure cook till soft – this might take at least 20 minutes in low-medium heat
- Heat oil in a pan and let the mustard seeds splutter and add black gram
- When dehusked black gram turns golden brown, add asoefetida, split green chillies and curry leaves and saute
- Strain the cooked chick peas and add to the pan
- Add salt to taste and stir fry well
- When all ingredients are combined well – this might take five minutes – turn off the stove
- Sprinkle freshly grated coconut to serve
- Coconut can be added while sundal is still getting stir fried. Then, the color of fresh coconut is lost but an excellent flavor of pan roasted coconut enhances the salad.
- My choice is non-roasted fresh coconut to be cautious of those extra calories due to roasting!