Quick and Easy Thaalicha Paruppu/Seasoned Lentil!
The first of the main courses is the paruppu sadham. Sadham is cooked rice and paruppu means lentils. This is especially Thuvaram Paruppu – Arhar dal in hindi. The red gram/pigeon pea is cooked well and seasoned with mustards, urad dal and green chillies. This is a light meal in itself. A lazy day’s meal can always be rice and thaalicha paruppu with a kootu (stew of vegetables) or poriyal (dry vegetable curry). Lazy to make vegetables… then just paruppu sadham and appalam/pappad and curd rice to finish the day’s meal would do!
But, in the vaazhai ilai sappadu – banana leaf meal, be prepared for sambar, rasam and curds to follow. For an infant or a toddler or a growing child, paruppu sadham and nei/ghee is the one of the preferred preparations for lunch followed by curds and rice – not to mention the compulsory vegetables.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- thuvaram paruppu/red lentils – 1/2 cup
- turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- salt – as needed
- asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Thaalippu – Thadka – Seasoning
- oil – 2 tsp
- mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal – 1/2 tsp
- green chillies – 2 nos
- curry leaves
Method of Preparation
- Wash and cook dal with turmeric powder and salt
- Mash it a bit and make it slightly pourable consistency
- Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds
- After the mustard seeds splutter, add urad dal
- When dal is golden brown, add green chillies and curry leaves
- Pour the mashed paruppu and bring it to boil
- Sprinkle asafoetida and serve hot with rice with a tsp of ghee.
- This is the plain simple paruppu of the vaazhai ilai sappadu/banana leaf meal.
- For more flavour, chopped onions and tomatoes can be added after curry leaves, cooked for a while and then dal can be added and mixed well.
- Red chillies can be substituted or added along with green chillies.
- The consistency of paruppu can be altered according individual preference.