Karuppu Kavuni Arisi Dosai
After black rice pudding or Karuppu kavuni Arisi payasam, my next wish was to try Karuppu Kavuni Dosai.
Dosais or Dosas are more flexible than making those perfect soft rice/millet idlies or fluffy cakes . Any grain base and lentil is enough to produce soft pancakes. While the western pancakes can be made with ground grain or flour alone, the South Indian Dosai has a protein lentil combined for the extra magical crisp or the soft spongy texture.
Hence, give us a grain and we can produce Dosai. Surprisingly very true. This was how the series – ‘Power Packed Pancakes’ with high fibre, nutrient rich millets came up. I am always awe-struck by the innovative culinary minds of our ancestors, who explored the combination of blackgram for the fermentation process of idlies and dosais – which aids in natural bacterial growth, than the additional usage of other external baking or steaming agents. That has given us- the generational followers, a clear way to explore a few more. Now, it’s time to try Tamilnadu style pancakes – the heavenly Dosais with various rices, which also seem to be common in southeast Asian countries.
So, join me again in the Dosai Journey in making a few more healthy pancakes, rich in anti-oxidants with the traditional rice varieties of Tamilnadu. To know more on the health benefits and payasam with black rice see – dosaikal- karuppu kavuni arisi payasam
Karuppu Kavuni Arisi Dosai/Black Rice Pancakes
Ingredients (makes approximately 15 dosais)
- karuppu kavuni Arisi/black rice – 1 ½ cups
- karuppu ulundhu/black gram – ½ cup
- vendhayam/fenugreek seeds – ½ tsp
- kal Uppu/rock salt – ½ tsp
Method of Preparation
- Wash well black rice and black gram.
- Add fenugreek seeds and soak overnight or minimum 6 hours in water
- Grind well in a grinder or any blender
- Once ground into a fine batter add rock salt and mix well or grind the rock salt in the end.
- Leave the batter overnight or until fermented well.
- Dosai batter is ready for use.
1. Heat dosaikal or the pancake pan on stove
2. Pour a ladle of batter and spread into perfect round pancakes – preferably thin
3. Pour droplets of gingelly oil on the sides of the Dosai for easy lift of pancake
4. Turn the Dosai to the other side and let it cook
5. Take out once done- remember it would take just about 30-50 seconds to cook a side of thin Dosai. If one keeps it longer, the texture of pancake would be lost.
6. Make Karuppu Kavuni Dosai crisp or soft and enjoy with any Thuvayal/chutney.