Merry Christmas to one and all!!
Next on the list is an eggless date and walnut cake. This was requested by one of my readers quite some time back. I know this is a very late response, my heartfelt regrets on that… yet better late than never!
This can also be an excellent substitute to a fruity Christmas Cake. There is no need for the caramel syrup in the Christmas Cake, this cake has the true goodness and color of dates. With no empty calories, it is surely a healthy snack or dessert for kids and adults alike.
100% Whole Wheat Eggless (No Butter) Dates and Walnut Cake
heaped cup of flour
dates and walnuts
- whole wheat flour – 1 heaped cup – 175 gms
- brown cane sugar – packed 1/2 cup – 90 gms
- refined oil – little more than 1/2 cup – 90 ml
- yoghurt – 4 tsp
- baking soda – 1 1/2 tsp
- chopped dates – 1 cup – 175 gms
- chopped walnuts – 1/2 cup – 50 gms
- boiling hot water – 3/4 cup – 120 ml extra water – 1/2 cup (if needed to add in the end to make the batter thinner)
soaked dates in water
Method of Preparation
- Preheat oven at 160 degrees C
- Grease a baking tray and keep ready
- In a wide bowl, place chopped dates, sugar and hot water; Close and let it soften for 10 minutes
- In another bowl, add baking soda and chopped walnuts to the whole wheat flour
- After 10 minutes, the dates would have become soft; add refined oil to the date, water, sugar mixture
- To this liquid mixture, add flour – walnut mixture little by little
- Now, the batter would be a thick one, add 4 tsp yoghurt and mix well
- Use the reserved 1/2 cup water if the cake batter is very thick or use as little water as possible to bring the batter to spoonable consistency
- Bake for 50 mins to an hour till a tooth pick comes out clean
- Cool and serve the cake.