Why I prefer the ‘100%’ tag is, due to the countless number of times I’ve been fooled in shops and the web – with the phrase ‘whole wheat’ bread, bun or whatever snack that claims to be whole wheat.
This whole wheat product, doesn’t include white flour at all.
After I changed my yeast and started kneading with a Stand Mixer, my home-baked whole wheat Bread has passed with flying colours.
So, without wasting much time…….
100% Whole Wheat Bread
- wholewheat flour – 4 cups (one cup = 130mg x 4 = 520 gms)
- yeast – 3 tsp – 11 gms
- honey – 1/4 cup
- salt – 1 1/2 tsp – 11 gms
- warm water – enough to knead into stretchy and elastic dough
- olive oil – 2 tsp app. (1 tsp for greasing the bowl; 1 tsp for greasing the baking tin)
Making the Bread
- In the Stand Mixer Bowl, add flour, yeast and salt and mix well with a spatula
- Pour warm water and honey; and switch on the mixer with the dough hook
- After the initial mixing up of all the ingredients in the mixer, let the dough be kneaded for 10 minutes. Add more water, if needed while kneading
- Alternatively, if you don’t have a mixer, not to worry
- In a big bowl, add ingredients as in step 1 and then step 2
- Knead well until water is incorporated well and the dough is stretchy.
- Grease the same bowl, with 1 tsp oil, and place the bread dough
- Cover with a clean cloth, place the bowl in a warm place
- Let the dough rise for half an hour or until double
- Knock the dough, and knead well again
- Grease the baking tin with the other 1 tsp olive oil
- Place the well rolled dough in the tin
- Let the dough rise for another 1/2 hr to one hr – or until doubled
- Preheat the oven at 220 degree C
- Place the dough and let it bake for 30-35 minutes, more or less, depending upon the oven
For a soft crust
Once the baking is done-
- Switch off the oven
- Brush the crust with butter
- Open the oven and leave the bread inside. Let there be a little gap in the door, for air to pass through
- Once the bread is warm, remove and let it cool completely
- Let it cool, with a cloth covered
- The crust of the baked bread is soft and easy to slice.