This is a mixed fruit jam that came out perfect, almost a look alike and taste alike store bought bottled jam.. the X factor here being the non-addition of preservatives. The brightcolor, smooth texture, citrussy flavor and awesome taste has made us yearn for more and more. The fruits that I added for color were black grapes (the seeded variety this time) and pomegranate; fruits added for the pulpy texture were apples and banana. This was the first time I laid my hands on a multi fruit jam and the success lead me try more variants, that came out absolutely perfect too. So, choice of fruits is your forte. Just combine citrus fruits like grapes or berries for tangi flavor and fleshy fruits or vegetables like apple, banana, beetroot and pumpkins respectively for pulpy consistency.
Home made Super easy Mixed Fruit Jam – Preservative Free
- pomegranates – 3 no.s
- seeded black grapes (one can also use seedless) – 1/2 kg
- apples – 2 no.s
- bananas – 2 no.s medium sized (I used red bananas)
- sugar – 2 cups approximately (1 cups sugar for 4 cups of total pulp put together)
- lemons – 2 no.s
These are the basic 3 steps in Jam Making; Do let me know if there are more please.
The Basic 3
- To disinfect the grapes and apples, take separate bowls of water with turmeric and salt. Leave them in the water for 1/2 an hour.
- Pomegranates and Bananas have their natural protective skins.
Place a plate in the freezer and a few spoons- we need to check for consistency later by placing the jam in the chilled plate.
Sterilize bottles with lid
- Wash the bottles and lids to store jam very well with no food particles sticking to it.
- Take a big bowl and place the washed bottles and lids on sides.
- Fill water in the bowl immersing the bottles.
- Let the water come to a full boil.
- Close with lid and let it stay till the jam is done.
Method of Preparation-
1. Blend pomegranate seeds and strain the juice
2. For grape juice/pulp
- Cautiously remove grapes that are spoiled or with grey fungus
- Thoroughly clean and wash the perfect grapes
- In a pan, cook grapes with 1/2 cup water in medium flame till they are softened and easy to mash with spatula
- Juice it in a blender and strain the thick pulp or don’t bother if it is thin.
3. Wash and peel apples and blend with banana to a smooth pulp
4. Mix pomegranate and grape juice, apple and banana pulp together in a bowl
5. Take a heavy bottomed pan on stove; measure and pour the above fruity mixture into it
6. Add 1 cup of sugar for every 4 cups of pulp
7. Add the juice of lemons
8. After the first boil, simmer stove and let it boil
9. Adjust burner of stove to medium and back to sim position till the liquid starts thickening
10. At this stage, check with the plate in the freezer- swipe a spoon of jam on the plate and cut into two halves. If it sets well and isn’t flowing on the plate when tilted, jam is done. Else, cook for some more time.
11. If it seems too thick, add little water and let it boil for some time, until it reaches right consistency
12. Pour into sterilized hot bottles directly from stove and close lid tightly.
13. Enjoy with home made bread or bun. Also try as a filling in tarts or pies.