Let’s complete the Simple Sunday Meal of Mutton Biriyani (refer – home-cook’s-pressure-cooker-mutton-biriyani ) with Mutton Fry. Having given balance to Biriyani with Salna (refer – kathirikkai-salna-brinjal-salna )– a veggie gravy/stew in the previous post, its time for Aadu Vadhakkal – spicy mutton stir fry.
Mutton fry – That’s not the best of pictures, I know. Shall update it shortly. Yet, no compromise in taste.
Aadu Vathakkal or Stir fried Mutton can be found in restaurant menus as mutton fry. It’s a spicy dry curry. And as a well known fact, the culinary secrets of Indian Cuisine differs with each family. With the basic preparations intact, modify the fry as per your taste and spice preference. With the addition of tomatoes, this might become a gravy dish.
Since I decided to make Mutton Varuval, along with biriyani, I put in the mutton pieces for both biriyani and spicy fry in the pressure cooker for initial cooking. This reduces the time in cooking mutton separately. After a kilo of mutton is cooked in the first stage, separate boneless chunks (app. 250 gms) for Vathakkal. Keep the bigger portion for Biriyani.
Otherwise, to make a separate mutton fry, pressure cook mutton pieces with water, salt and ginger for 30-40 mins. or until done. Enjoy the broth as soup with crushed pepper. Take the pieces for the vadhakkal/fry. Easy isn’t it?
- mutton – 250 gms
- garlic – 12 cloves crushed coarsely
- onions – 2 no.s sliced fine
- salt – to taste
- juice of ½ lemon
- oil – 2 tbsp
- red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- coriander powder – ½ tsp
- black/white pepper powder – 1 tsp
- turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Method of Preparation
- Cook mutton in water, with salt and ginger for 30-40 minutes or until cooked well.
- Strain the cooked broth and consume as soup.
- Use cooked mutton pieces for the fry.
- In a pan, heat oil and fry the crushed garlic.
- Add sliced onions and sauté till golden brown.
- Add turmeric, red chilli, coriander and white pepper/black pepper powders and mix well.
- Add ¼ cup cooked broth and a pinch of salt. Be cautious with salt, as salt has already been added while cooking mutton pieces.
- Cook closed in sim flame.
- After the raw smell of powders is gone, open lid, keep stove medium.
- When almost done, keep flame in full and let the water dry.
- Add the juice of lemon and transfer vathakkal to a serving dish.
- Spicy Vathakkal is ready.