When a big bunch of store bought black grapes, was getting softer…. sooner than we could finish, my immediate thought was to make Jam. An easy home made jam again, with minimal ingredients – the fruit and unrefined sugar. The tangy grapes didn’t need lemon, either to balance the sweetness, or as a preservative. We swore to finish the bottle at the earliest. Since no preservative is added in the recipe, as usual, we stored it in the refrigerator.
Easy Grape Jam
- Black grapes
- Unrefined cane sugar
Since my aim was to utilise the grapes, before they were wasted…no measurements/quantities here. But, go by ratio – 1 cup sugar to 4 cups of juice (no water added while blending)
- Cautiously remove grapes that are spoiled or with grey fungus
- Thoroughly clean and wash the good ones
- To disinfect the grapes, immerse in turmeric powder for 1/2 an hour
- Wash well in running water
- The fruit is ready to get a make over.
Place a plate in the freezer and a few spoons- we need to check for consistency later by placing the jam in the chilled plate.
Sterilize bottles with lid
- Wash the bottles and lids to store jam very well with no food particles sticking to it.
- Take a big bowl and place the washed bottles and lids on sides.
- Fill water in the bowl immersing the bottles.
- Let the water come to a full boil.
- Close with lid and let it stay till the jam is done.
Method of Preparation
- Blend the grapes into fresh puree without water, and strain. No need to cook grapes before blending.
- Take a heavy bottomed pan on stove; measure and pour the puree
- Add 1 cup of sugar for every 4 cups of puree
- Let the puree and sugar cook in full flame initially
- You can find a foamy layer settle on top of the boiling liquid. Gently remove foam and let it simmer.
- Adjust burner of stove to medium and back to sim position till the liquid starts thickening
- At this stage, check with the plate in the freezer- swipe a spoon of jam on the plate and cut into two halves. If it sets well and isn’t flowing on the plate when tilted, jam is done. Else, cook for some more time.
- Pour into sterilized hot bottles directly from stove and close lid tightly.
- Once cooled, enjoy the goodness of grape jam, sans preservatives. Don’t forget to place in the refrigerator.