This is a dosai/dosa with the goodness of many kinds of lentils in it. Lentils are a rich source of protein. They also contain dietary fiber, folate, B vitamins, minerals and are also a good source of iron. Generally, paruppu/dhal or sundal/cooked lentil snacks can be made of pachai payaru/whole green gram and karuppu kondaikadalai/black chickpea. Muzhu ulundhu/whole black gram is used in dhal makhni in north indian cuisine and some specialities like ulundhankali/black gram halwa (recipe would follow later) in tamilnadu cuisine.
This dosai combines whole green gram, whole black gram and black chick peas with both raw rice and par boiled rice.
- pachai payaru/whole green gram – 100 gms
- muzhu ulundhu/whole black gram – 100 gms
- karuppu kondaikkadalai/black chick peas – 100 gms
- pacharisi/raw rice – 50 gms
- puzhungal arisi/parboiled rice – 50gms
- vendhayam/fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
- red chillies – 4 nos.
- salt – 1 tsp
Method of preparation
- Take all the lentils and rice together in a wide vessel and wash well
- Soak the washed rice and lentil in nearly double quantity of water
- Add fenugreek seeds
- Cover with loose lid and let it soak for 8 hours
- In a wet grinder or blender, with 4 red chillies grind the above ingredients to a smooth paste
- Number of red chillies can be adjusted according to each household
- Add salt to the ground batter
- Dosais can be made immediately
- Alternatively, the lentils and rice can be soaked overnight and ground in the morning and dosais are ready for breakfast immediately
whole lentil dosai with onion chutnie, yoghurt and filter coffee
- Beware: the batter tends to become sour and unfit for making dosais if not stored in fridge immediately
- The above mentioned quantity would make approximately 12 dosais
- Lentils may cause bloating, gas and heart burns. Hence, garlic could be added to the chutnie to be had with the dosais
- Any spicy, red chilly chutnie would go well with this dosai
- With the red chutnie, a bowl of yoghurt could also aid in tackling the spice
- I always make the vengaya (onion) chutnie for this (please see chutnie category)
- Nothing can beat a hot cup of filter coffee to end it all.