Basic Wheat Cake/Atta Cake
This is another cake with just the basic ingredients. Flour, sugar, butter and eggs are the basic ingredients in any cake. Here again, the all purpose flour is substituted with wheat flour; brown cane sugar in place of white sugar and cooking oil is used instead of butter. I wanted to bake this cake without eggs – but my daughter who loves the beating part in cake making, insisted using egg. So, egg is used.
This cake does not need much beating. Just mixing one ingredient after the other is enough. It is very quickly done.
- wheat flour – 1 cup/100 gms
- sugar – 3/4 cup/75 gms
- oil – 1/2 cup – 50 ml
- egg – 1 no.
- yoghurt/curds – 3/4 cup
- baking powder – 1/2 tsp
- baking soda – 1/2 tsp
- vanilla extract – 1 tsp
Method of Preparation
- In a wide bowl, beat egg and sugar – enough to melt sugar
- Powdered sugar can also be used for easier melting
- Add oil and vanilla extract and mix
- Mix baking soda and baking powder with gothumai maavu/wheat flour/atta
- Start adding flour little by little to egg, sugar, oil mixture
- The batter would be thick half way – now add little yoghurt to set right the consistency
- Add all the flour and yoghurt to bring batter to thinner consistency
- Grease a baking pan and dust it with a light coating of flour
- Pour the batter into the pan
- Preheat oven at 200 degrees centigrade and bake for 30 minutes
- Check at 30 minutes with a tooth pick – if it comes out clean, cake is ready
- Depending upon the oven, it might take another 10 minutes too – so it is better to check at 30 minute point
- Remove from oven and let it cool to serve.
- It is again a small cake with less sugar
- Double it for a bigger cake and quantity of sugar can be added if needed.