Cabbage Poriyal/Cabbage Dry Vegetable Curry
One more poriyal – dry vegetable curry – with very little oil and very easy to prepare too. Cabbage poriyal can be made just with cabbage alone or sometimes mixed with carrots. This is plain cabbage poriyal.
Cabbage poriyal – Cabbage dry vegetable curry (serves 2)
- cabbage – medium size – 1 no.
- onion – medium – 1 no.
- green chillies – 2 nos
- turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- urad dal – 1 tsp
- curry leaves – a few
- salt – as needed
- perungayam/hing/asafoetida – 1/2 tsp
- grated coconut – 1/2 cup for garnishing
Method of Preparation
- Finely chop cabbage, onion and green chillies separately
- Take 1 tsp oil in a kadai
- Add mustard seeds and let them splutter
- Add urad dal and when it turns golden brown add curry leaves
- Add chopped onions and green chillies
- Fry for a while and add chopped cabbage
- While adding cabbage keep flame in full position for a while
- After couple of minutes of flame in full position, reduce flame
- This is believed to remove the acidic content of cabbage
- Add turmeric powder and salt and mix well
- Sprinkle water in between, close the kadai with lid and cook till done
- Sprinkle perungayam/hing and transfer to a serving bowl
- This is usually served with rice and kuzhambu/gravy of the day as a vegetable accompaniment
- Can also go well with chappatis and dal in place of a dry vegetable
- Cabbage can be taken out crisp or well cooked as per family’s preference
- Garnish with grated coconut. (optional)
cooked cabbage poriyal
- Always keep in mind the less oil in pan
- So, fry everything for a short while and keep the burner in sim position
- Sprinkle just enough water – if there is too much water – cabbage might lose its colour or become soggy.
- When cabbage is cooked with closed lid, it might leave out some water. Most of the times, this water is enough to cook cabbage.
- If one finds water is insufficient, and as such there is very little oil, sprinkle water. Otherwise, cabbage might get burnt in the base of the pan.